Fashion Institute Midwest is a non-profit organization committed to nurturing aspiring talent and supporting the Midwest fashion ecosystem. The Fashion Institute Midwest mission is to provide regional fashion designers creative inspiration, training opportunities & resources and business incubation to unlock their entrepreneurial potential.
Creative People=Creative Entrepreneurs
In short, we want to turn creative people into creative entrepreneurs. We want to provide our designers with the resources and skills to produce innovative and beautiful works of art, as well as profitable, consumer-friendly garments. Our goal is to marry the necessary components of creativity and market knowledge to produce successful fashion businesses.
Developing the Whole Designer
The Fashion Institute Midwest develops the whole designer and the fashion ecosystem through four project pillars: Creative Inspiration, Skill Development, Resource Development, and Business Incubation. And we have already begun planting seeds… or should we say laying stitches!
Fashion Institute Midwest Board
Wendy Chapman • Judy Davis Brook Hudson • Nick Hudson Mike Schilken • Sam Hohman
Designer Programs Delivered Include:
- Provides four months of mentoring and support for designers leading up to each season, helping them sharpen creative abilities, hone business acumen and connect resources and opportunities.
- Awards need and merit-based grants to designers for travel, materials and educational opportunities.
- Pattern grading workshop. Designers learn new techniques with pattern grading expert, Isabell Lott of Pattern Works International.
- Provide costs for designers to attend a creativity workshop at KANEKO with Dr. Shelley Carson, Harvard University psychology Ph.D. and author of Your Creative Brain.
- FIM and Develop Model Management partner to bring professional designers, such as Jerell Scott of Project Runway Allstars and Princess Lasertron, to Omaha Fashion Week for designer discussions and Q & A.